Index du Forum

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter"

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet     Index du Forum -> US Army -> USA - Histoire et étude des unités de l'US Army
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
siege1863
Private

Anniversaire: 02/04/1961

MessagePosté le: 25/04/2011 03:28:10    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

Here is a "short snorter" signed by twenty-five men who were members of the 194th Glider Infantry, and one man attached from the 224th Airborne Medical Company. It appears this 100-franc military payment note was issued at the time the regiment was sent into France to help defend against the German offensive in the Ardennes. This was about December 23 or 24. On December 25, the 17th Airborne Division entered Belgium. One man who signed the note, David Lockwood, was killed in action on 7 January 1945.

Perhaps some of the French and Belgian members can help with the name written across the top of the note (as posted). You can see it was signed at "Beaumont en Argonne." It appears the person who made this notation was "Yvette Stirmlinger." Is this how others read the name? Does anyone recognize this woman? Is the surname Stirmlinger common to this area?

Interestingly, near the bottom of the list of names is a Roger Stirminger(?). I cannot find him as a American soldier or civilian in any on-line resource. Could there be a connection to Yvette?

I look forward to reading any and all comments.

Publicité

MessagePosté le: 25/04/2011 03:28:10    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Glider Pilot
Modérateur - MP
Modérateur - MP

Anniversaire: 10/02/1973

MessagePosté le: 25/04/2011 21:03:26    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

Beaumont en Argonne appears to be a small village near Sedan in the French Ardennes, near the Argonne forest where US soldiers fought during WW1.
Stirmlinger, for me, sound like an eastern French name, Alsace or Lorraine (which are not so far from Beaumont), these two regions allaways have been heavenly disputed between France and Germany, there became German after the 1870-71 war, get back to France after WW1, were again annexed by the 3rd Reich in 1940 and were back to France in 1945.
Many of their inhabitants fleed in 1940 because both regions were not considered as an occupied country like France or Belgium but really a part of Germany so most of their young guys were incoporated in the Wermacht (and mostly the SS) and were send to the eastern front (they were called "Les malgré nous" "the despite us")

www.hepburn-music.com

Dernière édition par Glider Pilot le 25/04/2011 21:07:46; édité 1 fois
Visiter le site web du posteur
Glider Pilot
Modérateur - MP
Modérateur - MP

MessagePosté le: 25/04/2011 21:07:04    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

And I forgot I will ask you to do a all forum newcomers to make a quick self presentation here : http://us.army.39.45.xooit.com/f3-Recrutement.htm
Of course you may do it in English that will be a good exercice for many people around here to read a bit English Wink

www.hepburn-music.com

Spina
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Anniversaire: 04/02/1994

MessagePosté le: 27/04/2011 20:24:03    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

Wauw! that's a great piece of history you have there. Maybe the best thing to do is try to gain contact with the town of Beaumont en Argonne and ask them if there once lived an Yvette Stirmlinger and if she or any relative maybe still is alive. Smile

R.I.P
Ralph Spina
05/10/1919 - 12/08/2007

colonelwinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Anniversaire: 08/08/1970

MessagePosté le: 27/04/2011 21:41:14    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

Waouw les gars tout le monde ne parle pas anglais tristounet tristounet

Glider Pilot
Modérateur - MP
Modérateur - MP

MessagePosté le: 27/04/2011 21:47:10    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

colonelwinters a écrit:
Waouw les gars tout le monde ne parle pas anglais tristounet tristounet

En fait Siege 1863 a herité d'un billet de 100f d'invasion avec les noms de soldats du 194th GIR et un du 224 airborne medical company + les noms des deux civils dont Yvette Stirmlinger ainsi que le nom du village Beaumont en Argonne et il demande des renseignements là dessus.
Je lui ai répondu que Beaumont en Argonne se trouvait......en Argonne mais que le nom d'Yvette me faisait penser à un nom Alsacien vu que la région n'est pas très éloignée de là. Il a eu son rappel historique sur l'alsace lorraine mais on n'a pas plus avancé dans les recherches.
Déjà 1) Savoir comment des soldats du 194th gir se trouvaient dans ce village et 2) Retrouvez des eventuels enfants d'Yvette

www.hepburn-music.com

colonelwinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Anniversaire: 08/08/1970

MessagePosté le: 27/04/2011 21:48:21    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

Merçi a toi Glider Pilot

siege1863
Private

MessagePosté le: 03/05/2011 19:41:09    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

In the course of researching the 194th Glider Infantry, I read a reference to the unit being aided by members of the FFI when they were deployed to France. I wonder if Yvette Stirmlinger could have been a member of the French Resistance? Otherwise, of all the local civilians the unit would have encountered while in the area, why would she be the only one to sign the "short snorter?"

Glider Pilot
Modérateur - MP
Modérateur - MP

MessagePosté le: 03/05/2011 20:50:07    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

siege1863 a écrit:
In the course of researching the 194th Glider Infantry, I read a reference to the unit being aided by members of the FFI when they were deployed to France. I wonder if Yvette Stirmlinger could have been a member of the French Resistance? Otherwise, of all the local civilians the unit would have encountered while in the area, why would she be the only one to sign the "short snorter?"

Maybe she had closer contacts with the guys than the other civilians a translator for example

A little translation for the other members : Siege1963 me dit que dans ses recherches sur le 194th il a trouvé une référence d'une des ses unités aidées par des membres des FFI et il se demandait si Yvette aurait pu être membre de la résistance et sinon pourquoi parmi les civils que l'unité aurait rencontré dans les environs pour aurait elle été la seule à signer le billet.

J'ai répondu que peut-être elle pouvait avoir eu des contacts plus proches de l'unité que les autres civils en étant par exemple une traductrice.

www.hepburn-music.com

siege1863
Private

MessagePosté le: 03/05/2011 20:57:06    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter" Répondre en citant

It would be interesting to make contact with the town or anyone living there with the surname Stirmlinger to see what they may know about Yvette. However, with me living in the United States and the problem with the language barrier, I do not know if this is something that I could easily do.

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: 10/12/2016 06:03:11    Sujet du message: 194th Glider Infantry "Short Snorter"

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet     Index du Forum -> US Army -> USA - Histoire et étude des unités de l'US Army Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Portail | Index | Créer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Xooit.com :: Top Forums Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Traduction par : phpBB-fr.com